Tuesday, January 25, 2011

This I Believe


In life, it is said, that you are your biggest competition. So what do you do when you have to defeat your biggest competition? Do you go around punching yourself, or let one side of you win? Is it even possible to defeat a part of you without loosing yourself completley?
To believe is to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something without absolute proof that one is right in doing so.
You can believe in a god, in a religion, in your family, the earth, science...but ultimately if you do not have that belief in your self, can you get anywhere in life?
I believe in what I can see, what I can touch, what is presented in front of me. The sky is blue because that's what my eyes tell me it is, a rock doesn't bounce because when I throw it on the ground it doesn't bounce. Facts. Now I'm not saying that anything out of reach isn't real, I believe that a miracle can happen now and then. We can get lucky and miraculously heal from a deadly disease, land a man on mars, all that hubbub, but it doesn't happen often. So why put your belief to chance?  
I've grown up around people who have a strong belief in heaven, in god, that their life is some kind of 'test' in order for them to prosper when they die. Before, it used to bug me, because I didn't get it, because I didn't share the same belief.
They believe in God and Religion like I believe that Mark and Callie (from Grey's) belong together. Two very different things, but one passion.
 So in the end when you look at yourself in the mirror you have to realize that you're looking at your biggest enemy, your biggest competition, and your biggest support system. Ultimately, you have to believe in yourself. Believe that you believe that the sky is blue, but someone may see it as purple. Believe that you don't believe in a god, but a friend prays to one every day. And if just for a moment you start doubting yourself, have the ability to beat yourself, don't change your beliefs for anyone but yourself, because you are the one that matters. Believe in your beliefs. Believe in yourself

2 comments: